Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Bastards of Fate



Doug Cheatwood-Singer
Camellia Delk-Synth
Benji Pugh-Guitar
Jason Wellz-Bass
Doug Shelor-Drums

Myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/thebastardsoffate

So there's this band, the Bastards of Fate. They've got that weiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrd sound. I wouldn't say that it verges on Noise (though at times they are very loud). There is however, a definite Patton influence to their style, which I guess you could call experimental. My first impression upon listening was thinking they were a hybrid of Melt-Banana and Fantomas. The first song I listened to I hated. Then I listened some more. "Oedipus Rex" has a haunted carnival feel to it, and is my favorite of what I've heard. I appreciate the mad oscillations in the song as it swings from sugar pop bobble head synth to early Flaming Lips-style guitar jamming with some kuh-razy vocals to make them unique. Upon further listening, "Oh the Desolation" has a very similar sound so the band appears to be striving for insanity (especially with the addition of free jazz, what sounds like a baby banging on pots and pans, and the gospel harmonics of Cheatwood himself). Some points in their songs sound like a cracked out video game, and I like that. The band is based out of Roanoke, Virginia, and have an upcoming show on January 21st (in their home town) if you feel like taking a nice walk. Or jog. As a recommendation, I would say don't listen to them if you are close-minded, and your favorite artist is Sufjan Stevens. Otherwise, enjoy the insanity. On their Myspace they claim to be on a Major label, but methinks they lie, especially since on their Facebook they list their manager as Keeklery James Furchild. Their cat. Who apparently is an asshole.




Artists of note who they have opened for include Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Captured! by Robots, and The Chinese Stars. They also toured with Joe Talcum of the Dead Milkmen (who-Sidenote! I love to pieces!).

Adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Directories